All fees are due at the end of each session. Payment options include cash, check and all major credit cards. Sliding scale rates are available on a limited basis; if you are unable to afford my fee, please inquire about the possibility of a reduced rate. Missed appointments not cancelled at least 24 hours prior to scheduled appointment time will require partial payment for the session time. Exceptions are made in case of emergencies.
Please note that I do not accept insurance.
I have several reasons for this, which are outlined below:
- Your privacy and confidentiality are of the utmost importance. Paying directly out of pocket for counseling services ensures your privacy and prevents disclosure of highly personal information to a third party.
- In order to receive third party payment from a health insurance company, the person receiving counseling services MUST have a psychiatric DSM-V diagnosis, denoting “mental illness”. This diagnosis frequently becomes a permanent part of his or her electronic medical record, which is often inappropriate and can have unpredictable repurcussions, in my opinion.
- In my experience, insurance companies tend to have different and ever-changing policies regarding coverage, which is a time-consuming and often frustrating game to play as a provider.
- Many counseling services are not covered by insurance (for example, relationship counseling, sexual addiction counseling, etc.).
- Confidentiality is not as reliable as we would hope, considering the insurance and managed care information network. There is risk of diagnostic/treatment information leakage to present/potential employers, insurance companies, and finance organizations and I am not comfortable with this possibility.